Introduction

Subject: Introduction
From: Osburn Barry <bao@ventureeng.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:49:00

Hallo fellow aviators
My name is Barry Osburn. My brother, Paul and I used to own a Grumman AA5
but........
now its gone.....
We are now ready to take on another 'mission' and want to build a Europa.
I have obtained the usual, easily obtained info but before we proceed there
is a major factor that needs addressing. The whole issue  revolves around
whether the Europa can be operated from a 280 meter (hedge to hedge) farm
strip.
It's an awkward question to get anyone to answer and I understand why.
Pilot skill, environmental conditions, landing surface, etc. etc. all have
an influence.
What I am trying to get confirmed is :-
With suitable training (i.e. Farm strip flying, Short field techniques,
etc.) is it feasible to operate, for most of the year?
I have read articles quoting Ivan Shaw  as saying "I wanted an aircraft that
could operate from a 250m unprepared grass strip. " Well did he achieve his
original objectives??
It is a calculable design parameter. With the necessary input data and a
dynamic analysis it should be possible to predict the theorectical
proformance fairly accurately.
If the model is carefully thought out , perhaps with some empirical data the
practical and theoretical results should be close.
I dont want to build an aircraft for the limitations I have, only to find
that its design was outside my range in the first place.
Obviously I would chose the options most benifical to that cause ( engine,
variable pitch prop ? etc.)
Well I think you've got my drift, its so frustrating. I am not asking for a
specific number. Just is it feasible for a competent pilot to operate the
Europa from a 280m hedge to hedge grass strip??

Any Help to enable me to start this project or abandon it as not possible
would be very much appreciated

Cheers           Barry