Electric Flaps cont.

Subject: Electric Flaps cont.
From: Edward Gladstone <TedGladstone@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:33:43
> "Kenneth S. Whiteley" <ken@kenwhit.demon.co.uk> wrote:-
>
> snip>>
> It seems to me that one would need to change the lever ratio so as to
arrive at the >locked in position at 18 degrees. ---- >> --- >>--- If you
make any progress I should >be very interested to hear of it.   Similarly a
simple electical retraction of the >outriggers would be interesting.
>snip>

It would not be necessary to have it lock when going DOWN  to 18 deg. it
would always be approached from the full down position.    ----   We
proposed to use the method described by   Tony   ie.:-    When landing
flaps deployed to full deflection therefore fully locked.    On  take-off
flaps raised from full down  to 18 deg (outriggers still latched).   We
intend to have indicator marks on the port flap  which come into view as
the flaps extend  but your electrical interlock, Tony, sounds good and we
may incorporate it.

Our electric flap system also incorporates a manual override to fully
extend the flaps should any part of the electric actuator fail.

We also experimented with electrically operated outriggers which folded
sideways flush into the wing and we actually had a wood/cardboard mock up
of a working system.   We shelved this idea due to the problems we
envisaged in getting the mods to the wing structure approved by PFA
Engineering.

Ted.