Re: Tail Wheel & Cowlings

Subject: Re: Tail Wheel & Cowlings
From: Graham Singleton <100421.2123@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 09:34:12
>>As for the 60/40 or 50/50 glycol mix, Francis Donaldson happened to
mention
when I discussed that possibility with him, that the corrosion resistance
would be reduced with the reduction in glycol. So we will only be trying
this as a last resort in the summer, unless anyone knows better.<<

There's another consideration. Someone once hinted at hot spots in the
heads being the reason 100 per cent glycol was recommended. It doesn't boil
until 170  deg C. We have done 140 hours now on 75 % glycol. Much modified
cowls, of course. We did notice that the engine cooled much better after 25
hours running in and the change to semi synthetic oil .

I would also note that under cowl temps will be lower than the typical 40
or 50 deg C with better ventilation. Cooling drag will of course increase.
Graham