Re: Tail Wheel & Cowlings

Subject: Re: Tail Wheel & Cowlings
From: David Watts <dwatts@ns1.avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 20:39:37
>Andy wrote
>The addition of extra cowling vents, spacing the bottom of the cowling away
>from the fuselage and variations on the theme does little or nothing to
>improve engine cooling as far as our experience is concerned.

We have only flown 26 hours in 'xdy so far and have not suffered any serious
overheating problems yet on our fairly standard setup. However the first
couple of flights showed that in a sustained climb at max rpm the temps did
climb quite a bit. We then opened up the bottom of the cowl to show an
actual gap of around 1/16th inch (about a 1/8th spacer) and this pretty much
controlled the situation. After a couple more flights I raised the carb
needles by one notch and now we can climb to at least 3000 ft before the
temps need watching more closely (still well within limits). I admit that
the weather is cold at the moment and we are obviously going to have to
watch things as the weather warms up.
As for the 60/40 or 50/50 glycol mix, Francis Donaldson happened to mention
when I discussed that possibility with him, that the corrosion resistance
would be reduced with the reduction in glycol. So we will only be trying
this as a last resort in the summer, unless anyone knows better.
Dave Watts 229.