Teflon Hinge Sleeving

Subject: Teflon Hinge Sleeving
From: Tony Renshaw <renshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 16:19:45
Gidday,
For Europa and others considering using the commonly used teflon hinge pin
sleeving method used on many Rutan a/c here is some details you may want to
chase up

The teflon tubing comes on a roll from a company called Atlantic Tubing Co.
Other numbers on the spool are:
 FS14
 WG14
"Standard Wall"
 4200 397
Its 100/1000" O.D. or 2.5 mm. Its 1/16" I.D. or 1.6mm or thereabouts.

This is a copy straight from a photocopy from The Canard Pusher ( like our
Europa Club):
Aileron hinge pin wear. This problem still has not gone away, even with the
bent hinge pins. Rodie Rodewald originally suggested a modification,and Dick
Kreidel has had it installed for 125 hours with "zero slop". It consists of
a piece of thin-walled teflon tubing inserted through the hinge, with a
piece of stainless steel welding rod 1/16" dia. for a hinge pin. The teflon
tube makes an excellent tight fitting "liner" for the hinge pin that does
not allow any rattling or looseness, yet allows smooth pivoting action.
The only drawback is that it is tricky to install. You will need a piece of
teflon tube a little more than twice the length of each hinge, for each
hinge. Use an Exacto knife to slit the tube for half its length. Now fold it
up to reduce its diameter, and push it through the hinge. When you have it
all the way through, (the unslit half is not into the hinge yet) now insert
your welding rod pin into the unslet half of the teflon tube, then pull the
whole works through the hinge until your new pinge pin and teflon liner are
properly aligned in the hinge. Trim off the "slit" portion of teflon tube
and discard."

The teflon tube is still available today through:
 Mc Master-Carr Supply Co.
P.O.Box 54960
9630 Norwalk Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90054
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Ph. (562) 692-5911
Fax (310?) 695-2323 or  (562) 695-2323
Contact: Mr Arnold Carrillo from Sales on Ext. 3211

He faxed me the other day to clarify price of $00.14 per foot, and if
quantity is less than 100 feet it would be $00.18 per foot. Stock is
currently in their warehouse. The Catalogue No. is 5335K17.

I hope this helps those who are wondering how they are going to replace the
portion of the hinge bonded onto the applicable flight control. My Aussie
contact has flown over 250 hours without any wear at all, over 10 years, and
thinks the teflon will certainly see him out ( so to speak!)
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236