Re: Aileron Cores

Subject: Re: Aileron Cores
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 08:03:17
At 22:01 27/03/97 GMT, you wrote:

>Why does that not suprise me, You should see the state of our leading edge
>cores, I haven't even looked at the aileron cores yet.
>
>Just as a matter of interest, did any of the early builders have core
>distortions, or is this a more recent thing.

We all suffer from this;There are residual stresses in the foam (from
manufacturng) which is released as they are cut up/hot wired.

 In practice, if you bond the leading edge cores on accurately (in relation
with each other, as well as onto the spar) with 2X2 L section holding the LE
straight, most of the distortions disappear, and the bi-ax cloth tends to
remove most of the rest when it's laid up: It seems worse than it actually is.

Miles.