Re: BRS project

Subject: Re: BRS project
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 08:03:21
Having failed to come up with any solid reasons NOT to fit a BRS to the
FLYER Europa, we are going for it: the unit has been ordered.

There has been some speculation as to why we want to fit a BRS to such a
capable aeroplane; the primary reason is to get the ball rolling in the UK
(it's been illegal to fit one over here so far -but the CAA have opened the
door a crack, so we are intent on charging through...) Other than that, ask
any military pilot how they like the black and yellow handle between their
legs: No one ever want to use it, but it's a very comforting form of insurance!

I have spent the last month or so learning the rudiments of how to use
Autocad Lt, and I'm about half way through sketching out the installation.
The final details will be worked out "in situ" using a dummy BRS unit, but
when the drawing are in a fit state to be seen, I'll post them (as a DFX
file) on the Avnet FTP for  interested parties to download: I'll let you
know when that happens.

Briefly, the BRS cannister will be mounted half in the aft cockpit bulkhead,
pointing up and aft. It's designed to be easily removed for servicing, and
for access down the back end. The primary attach strap (5/16 cable) will run
up the centerline, down the windshield, to the U/C-engine mount frame. the
secondary straps (kevlar) will run down the fuselage sides to the top/bottom
split line, and attach to inserts in the aft bulkhead. these straps will be
in molded in "external" channels covered with 2 layers of bid over peel ply:
on deployment, they will rip out.

Miles