Vaeiable flap

Subject: Vaeiable flap
From: John Bean <72016.641@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:53:59
Just downloaded my mail and noted a number of comments on variable flap. The
DC10 has flaps that can be set from 0 to 22 degrees in 0.1 deg increments to
allow for optimum take off performance dependent on weight, weather, runway
lengths (TORA, TODA & EMDA) and numerous other factors. For the few destinations
we operate to the takeoff calculation set of tables is a substantial manual and
the calculations are independently cross checked by all 3 crew mwmbers. I don't
see how a variable flap would do much for the Europa's performance especialy
with the complications of the construction added to the performance
calculations.

I also have noted references to various items such as: rigging aids, modified
OR5's etc. Could someone put these ideas on paper and, for those of us (ME) who
are not too adept with this computer thing, put the info into our Flyer
magazine. So far the only items I seem to be able to get to and understand on
the 'net' is this site!

Whilst on about the 'net', I thought it was from an American origin - therefore
should not our spelling be in American English, not English English?

John Bean (Kit 23) and DC10 Flight Engineer