Washout errors...

Subject: Washout errors...
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:56:35
Having got to the stage of fitting the wing trailing edge blocks to the
spar, it has become apparent that there is a small unwanted error in the
washout of the wing leading edges; Quite how it got there, I'm not totally
sure: I was absolutely certain that things were straight when checked after
cure.

However, the most reasonable candidate was operator error of the digital
level: when used in "alt-zero" mode it appears to be imperative to maintain
the same orientation of the level, as flipping/rotating it to check the
other end of the wing introduces twice the error off true vertical. This
also applies (as I believe happened in my case) when the "true vertical"
within the level isn't -ie it needs recalibrating, as mine  was as a
precaution after dropping it....

So -what to do about it. Currently the situation is:

Right tip (leading edge section) is at 1.2 degrees, and the left is 1.8
degrees. - in other words, the error at each tip is plus or minus 0.3
degrees off spec.

Any suggestions?

All the best (and holding my breath)

Miles