Re: Where to keep the Europa??

Subject: Re: Where to keep the Europa??
From: CPattinson@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 06:01:59
Miles is right, there are a lot more flying friendly farmers than you might
imagine, especially if youre prepared to make it worth their while.
Fortunately we have the luxury of an ex WW2 bomber base (near Aylesbury !)
which we used in our microlighting days. The farmer in question rents out
secure hangar space to about 20 microlights. The hangar is alarmed and each
A/C owner has his/ her own key. Regrettably I cannot divulge this particular
Aviation Haven as I am hoping to use the strip when our Europa is finished.

For starters, I suggest you arm yourself with a copy of Lockyears guide to
farm strips then a systematic trawl through the ones in your area should
hopefully throw up a willing candidate. To be realistic I think you have to
be prepared to pay out at least a couple of hundred quid a year to make it
worth their while.
The other point to consider is that they themselves may be operating under
sufferance from their farm neighbours so you will only be allowed to use the
strip as a base (ie - once airborne you leave the area and go cross country
!). Obviously the quieter the aircraft, the better chance you have though I
think in the eyes of the public, all aircraft are equally noisy - since I
happen to believe (in the majority of cases) that aircraft noise is directly
proportional to the jealousy of the protester concerned (ie- we are a load of
rich layabouts who should be stopped at all costs !)

If Lockyears fails to deliver you could try your local PFA strut - thats what
it's there for. Our local strut, the Oxford chapter meets every second
Wednesday of the month in the Abingdon town Football club. Some of our
members are local farmers.

Hope this is a help in your quest.

Regards

Carl Pattinson