Instrument Panel Electrics

Subject: Instrument Panel Electrics
From: Martin J.Tuck <102034.2747@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 23:02:51
Instrument Panel Electrics

With all the communication regarding circuit diagrams I was wondering (as I'm
planning mine too ...  must be the colder weather ...) if anyone has used the
Power Panel available from Aircraft Spruce.

Its a self contained power distribution panel which includes most commonly used
switches and circuit breakers as well as a Cessna type split master switch. The
heavy duty printed circuit board replaces all busbars and includes build in
relays for the landing lamp circuit and the radio master bus. The radio master
bus has an integral filter circuit which attenuates noise on the supply.

Seems like it would cut out much of the wiring donkey work as everything just
wires into it.

The only drawback I see is that the only real place to put it is the pilot side
lower panel (where I think most builders are putting their engine instruments).
However, it works well there and I have replanned my panel accordingly. I am
intending to position the 2 inch dia. engine instruments vertically on the right
hand side to the left of the radio panel - where they just go. Bit like a
Bonanza. This position ensures good line of site.

My full scale drawing shows everything fitting together well position wise - but
it is a very small panel! I just have room for a Terra GPS, Com and Transponder.

Europa in Lakeland tell me that Kim Prout in California uses it in his panel
although I think he uses the smaller panel.

I think its worth looking in to.

Regards
Martin Tuck
Wichita, Kansas