Re: >>Circuit diagrams

Subject: Re: >>Circuit diagrams
From: Margaret & Dave Watson <dmw@querandi.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 21:59:55
Graham Singleton wrote:

> >>Do any of you wizzes have , or know of a programme that would help me draw
> presentable looking circuit diagram for my Europa.<<
>
> Do you really need to? It has already been done.
> Yes, you do.

There is no replacement for your own circuit diagram with all the
relevant connectors, pin numbers, cable numbers, harnesses and tag
strips etc. marked on the diagram. To suplement the circuit you should
also maintain lists of the following:
        1. Electrical equipment list detailing:
                Equipment, voltage, current & power
                Cable size, cable run length & required protection
        2. Electrical equipment connections
                Equpment, connection pins etc, cable colours, function
        3. Connector pin-outs
                Reference, pin, cable colour, cable marking, function
        4. Harness summary
                Harness number, cable numbers contained

Don't use cheap commercial plugs, sockets or switches, they are
guranteed to fail.

Mark all cables with heat shrink cable markers, I use the following
system:
        11.013-18
        where   11 is the system number i.e. Radio, transponder etc.
                013 is the wire number
                18 is the wire size in AWG

I know this might seem a bit involved, but I can assure you that it will
be quicker in the long run. This is preferable to working it out on the
fly, no pun intended, freezing my n**s off in the workshop only to find
it doesn't work, or I have forgotten what I did at the last session, far
better to work it out all first sat in front of a log fire:-)

We use a package at Farnells that may be suitable, I will get the
details on Monday.

Regards,
        Dave & Margaret Watson
        #224 G-CUTY (Tri-gear)