Re: Fuel venting danger

Subject: Re: Fuel venting danger
From: dbosomworth@meto.gov.uk
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:05:21

Thanks for the advice Graham. Keep carrying that cat when you
fly, to mop up any spilt fuel...might clean the paint off it
too....

        Another method may be to raise the fuel vent point by
placing a tube inside the alloy fitting (reduxed in, like the
fuel outlets), extending forwards and upwards towards the top
corner. This would allow the tank to be filled more whilst on its
tailwheel.
        Downside is it would then have a trap if fuel did get in
it. I suppose you could extend the pipe along the fuzz side
before doubling back to the vent, retaining its rise, to give any
fuel bubble further to run.
        If all else fails, lean over and give a good blow down
the vent before you put the filler cap on !

BTW, i rigged the wings and flaps before glueing the fuzz
together, as Graham1 suggested (With Alan's agreement (my
inspector!)). Fuzz cleco'd together fine, wings and fairings on
with no great problem, but so much easier fitting the flaps. whip
the top off to cut and drill for the mounts- maybe thats where
Graham got the reg. from!

chus, dave
kit67