Factory Response

Subject: Factory Response
From: Larry Boggs <74164.3224@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 09:15:57
 In buying the Europa kit, there is a presentation by the factory that the kit
is very straightforward and easy to build for the first time builder.  I think
this comes under the category of "blue sky" marketing.  I am fortunate to have
friends that are helping me to build, and who have completed many airplane
projects over the past 10 years.  I think that anyone who undertakes building an
airplane like the Europa should not be fooled by an oversimplistic video about
the ease of construction.

We have only completed the tail kit, but already I have been saved many errors
by the experience of the people who are helping me.  My only point to this
letter is that we are adults, and should always live by the rule of "Buyer Be
Ware".

An airplane is very complicated, and we should not be deluded to think that
building will not be problematic during the process.  During our building of the
RV-6 kit, which there are many now flying, these same type of problems arose.

To this end, it is ingenuous of Europa to advertise 500 hours for a first time
builder. At the same time, it is foolish to spend the the thousands of dollars
or pounds necessary to build the plane without investigation into the process to
realize the magnitude and commitment required.

So, even though we all now know in fact that 500 hours is ridiculous, the end
product we hope for should help ease the pain.  The more I move forward with
building the Europa, the more pleased I am with the decision to choose to build
the plane.

Larry Boggs
Hoosier Europa