Re: Oil Tank and cowling.

Subject: Re: Oil Tank and cowling.
From: Steven A Eberhart <newtech@evansville.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 14:03:28
On 28 Sep 1995, Graham Singleton wrote:

> >>I understand Ivan's problem.  If you put the radiator as a belley scoop
> then it is directly behind the mono-wheel undercarrage.
>
> Could go either side of the wheel. Thinking about the required inlet size, is
> there a simple rule of thumb formula for radiator size per horse power per
> climb
> speed? Another thought, it's a pity contraflow rads aren't more common, ie
> cold
> air in at the front, hot water in at the back. I learnt that was the ideal at
> college. Long time ago :-(
>
> I think I will have to try a chin scoop to keep things simple and give more
> room
> under the silencer, which at the moment completely blocks the lower part of
> the
> cowl.

I just went back to the Sport Aviation article in the August issue and
on G-ELSA (Rotax 914) there appears to be a lot of louvers [SP] on the
bottom side of the cowling.  The exhaust also appears to have its own small
bulge to exit from.

THe chin scoop sounds like a good idea.  Any thoughts forthcoming from
Europa UK or USA on this thread?  Any G2 on the mystery engine yet?

Different topic, I have a stack of foam in my garage and a new hot wire
foam cutter.  Will be purchasing a vacuum pump shortly.  Hope to work out
the nasty details of vacuum bagging so that I can use this method on my
soon to be purchased Europa.  Will let all know the results of the
experiments.

Steve