Re: Europa-List: Slight exhaust leak at cylinder head manifold joint

To: europa-list@matronics.com
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Slight exhaust leak at cylinder head manifold joint
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 11:25:58 -0500
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com designates 96.68.171.19 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=reply-to:precedence:sender:content-transfer-encoding:to:message-id :date:subject:mime-version:from; bh=POVL9f19mw9lNNc5FYdpQRApbCDmiCn7gCHFJCQxAaU=; fh=TSc/TjETBhvodhpPk22Odkh8ydGz7jv//j7B1ydUATs=; b=Xcrtt8+4oh4i8T33Z1K01dmI92siwwseWDodKi9cpIiKhtUm9PLFz5ZwxLar4jdHFB /Aph89UqSMq2JatwPDWgT0xeNcFz9fcwHw8PBP1NvPxPJeWW7aRpkj8Bjl+pE/qeSXQS Q5LFOqp1W8SbhXEL5qbV2mqy8M12YkfRH0Z2GC8Sbj4wSlyMnTd9iie2OxLxDunHcVRX 8HBEIUYGa4NjhvoV1gP1eKn5fEJuo2qK+XMdn1esMAO6CwePmyIIrFoW1T69eCLkYM14 YgYaHdWSTJG9qkEXYuAzAomh45ETedYno38++go2IXJWsihoLGXUoRKJcEJDxwub+UEm cvWg==
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1704472124; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=A1AHBOr6wZdEx+GUQ5zvuYe17098c3ro64iSOcEv7+bJj0og4QuxZPpGffhu2nbbBw +K7adVK2jDxeBjV/dSLCLRJhC2VBqIHHn10yTy2VXJMnlKGY8Er86bBTpFaUjCbQGAke eJibpPFO3RLsPbeztglPiZQk8pf8sbOmWmZWXrg0g8oDbLo7nG/OCbOW6slgLY9ozYrZ lKR17GuhncORTiVqWwDOIIVQFzuTM1D1BJtVfTmJHhIsNaY4QMUVi+fsczVlgeUMqC7Q 9IB+6rfisfzn3O80nQOStNHeBYjdJs7+mXcZEFiYaoRJg2hhiNHmZzDjfXKs3QBCTIv/ ZBRw==
Sender: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
--> Europa-List message posted by: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>

Are these the sleeved ones? Or the “ball joint” looking rounded seal?  I have
the latter on my classic, and eliminated all my leaks by using genuine Honda
motorcycle copper exhaust gaskets.

Cheers,
PeteZ

> On Jan 5, 2024, at 11:18 AM, n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> --> Europa-List message posted by: "n7188u" <chmgarb@gmail.com>
>
> Hello Europa Family,
>
> First of all Happy New Year together with hopes of a great year 2024! I also
> hope you had enjoyable holidays (I did have a very special one, which
> included a Europa related activity, and I will an expand on a following
> posting).
>
> The reason for my posting today is that I’ve been having a slight exhaust
> leak through the #4 cylinder head joint to the manifold. I had this leak on
> my old engine and again on my new one so I can safely assume it is related to
> either pipe alignment or warped mating surface at the pipe. My other three
> pipes are not leaking. So far I have realigned the pipe multiple time to try
> to improve the seating of the manifold on the head with no success. I am
> afraid that if it continues like this it will eventually damage the head
> sealing surface.
>
> I am sure that if CKT was still around I could talk to them and solve this
> issue (I should have done that earlier) but so it’s life. Anyone in the forum
> had this issue and resolved it hopefully without requiring new parts?
>
> What occurs to me as possible solutions:
>
> 1.- Check if the mating surface in the joint is not warped (no idea yet how)
> and correct it (also no idea how).
> 2.- If the joint is not bad, lap the joint.
> 3.- Use an exhaust system sealant. Heide at CKT once recommended Hylomar EAP5
> for the slight leak at the slip joint in the #1 cylinder pipe. I would think
> this could help but only short term as this joint probably moves a little.
> 4.- I read in the Rotax-Owner forum that CKT would sometimes recommend a
> sleeve to be placed in the joint (I think this is for a seriously worn
> cylinder mating surface). It would be nice if some sort of soft gasket
> existed for this joint.
>
> I will check on the Rotax maintenance documentation but does anyone know what
> the specification is for the cylinder head exhaust port joint mating surface.
> I would think that the exhaust one should be slightly spherical to allow some
> misalignment. A lapping tool could be created to rectify the surface  on the
> pipe but that could get expensive (I wish I still had my machine shop).
>
> Anyway, I will await for our valued opinions on this subject.
>
> Chris
>

> Read this topic online here:

_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
_-= Photoshare, and much much more:
_-=
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
_-=
_-============================================================
_-=               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
_-=
_-=   --> http://forums.matronics.com
_-=
_-=              - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_-= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!
_-=   --> http://wiki.matronics.com
_-=             - List Contribution Web Site -
_-=  Thank you for your generous support!
_-=                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-=   --> https://matronics.com/contribution