RE: Europa-List: Europa tri-gear wheel change

To: "europa-list@matronics.com" <europa-list@matronics.com>
Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa tri-gear wheel change
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 14:45:09 +0000
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com designates 96.68.171.19 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com; dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=msn.com
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=reply-to:precedence:sender:mime-version:message-id:date:subject:to :from; bh=3r5sqrH1V3bqbSBmsRr/TH1IT5Ka3mmeP+AdGi1QVVY=; fh=TtRabXnAZcz4NxrJRbsgVDdHYZRt+FpBYJp4xASTi6w=; b=K1bsTTLMmpAraU+koHbmCcx38x3zfYdazeVofXwicSyZqssxm+vGZgQbxDcPqKM8DI nm+H5rk53IjOkjO69cqe9wiOowShvOx5J29uS2O+gnrweIql+EVcGxwVPPur0JqbfO8s Oa9KfVrktGbsTo3XQMIHqVdZGq5ZZeBllYU+w2mU915CSIxIY4Bh8V0cV4Q2CSgb1a3j QsgwDns1peTwTwtMdJ/OmVu8Zh4SWvoJHPtoT5GSACe9roM/emjadFaydOF90R6RO5Lm 2qcTkKg13gVhavOA01GF/sP+ilQZsY/HqEmeagU51Ep/T7kVLhFz0GBPaIHjtuhYM79+ H1oA==
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1698504558; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=ZwPwvg9q0F9ineqIpNXAg3IhZGxBhuHadg2YTLdYNo2kZnvUNSG7Ry41nGSfn9rDnk udZ2xoWIZjXJKO/TEO7SLpTRIrUlXbgk7tietAh8jtRY/XCTteoyN8HGMZIItllJomKo 24bamMZH6BlMDgKrZsoYqwgpkY9uxe1ORE5OYCKa7tkHt3zIAQKhckexlcIvb1jxcV2m 8/p9eOX91UEKMYwOzYbf2jCtRoo6yev/kMTiDKCnpMXLHfxnijicbflTYbE80j3WOjgY Uk14V2yzjMPt2Vti67J1XorHJbwqpFHNwByzf/bl2nTRSUXj+AxoO1f0l40hGyJc25By pg8A==
Sender: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com

Tire Changes aren't complex and wonderful on the Trigear Europa.

Attached is my paper on it from my website (yea I gotta work some more on that too).

On cross country if you land at an airport with people, it is very nice to see if someone has a tire change kit in their car or pickup truck as that is all you need.

Even a breaker bar to insert into the axle is simple do.  A small car or truck scissors jack is always around.  So, I don't carry a thing for a tire change on a trigear.  The nut on the axle is standard aircraft also, so any Aircraft Mechanic has the socket or even offset pliers will do in a pinch.  For those going into small farm strips or remote areas, a hollow steel pipe of sufficient length and a "Ford Wrench" or plumbers spanner, or offset pliers that open to 1.25 inches and such in your tool kit works without too carrying much weight.  Small scissors jacks are in most auto tire change kit, and the tire lug wrench in most larger cars or trucks have a very sturdy tool that can easily jack a Europa.  I think the pipe I use is a galvanized 3/4 inch water or gas pipe from the hardware store that is about 12 - 15 inches long and is more than adequate to jack a fully loaded Europa.  The pipe must be just long enough to go on the jack and insert a couple inches into the axle plus the width of the wheel.  I use the same pipe on my annual inspection to jack, pull the wheel, and simply lower the bare axle on to a couple of padded 4x4s to set the axle on to  while I repack the bearings.

Attached is my paper.

Bud Yerly

Custom Flight Creations

In case you've never seen one, this is a short handle plumbers spanner.  They are usually aluminum and quite light: