Europa-List: The Obsidian Files - Wing Tips

To: europa-list@matronics.com
Subject: Europa-List: The Obsidian Files - Wing Tips
From: "Area-51" <goldsteinindustrial@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 16:32:26 -0700
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com does not designate 96.68.171.19 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com; dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=reply-to:precedence:sender:content-transfer-encoding:to:date:from :subject:message-id:mime-version; bh=nkNbw+i4bMO0CgFe5H4wiyoLG2AskLraWYmfSA6MozE=; fh=C+meCRETj4p9/tpMUP+tEHp9vG51+QDIsWE3Oo812xg=; b=yfIuUwJ/BrYVC8qA4+sLOx6lqy5P+C5f2oexpEFBqKbTP6qKlAtJDf0zv/Xv1K493K bFXQE7z3dA5ohmKn1sNmDa//ZjtE/uECbs7DlitoGiYvOxEC10xqul2exq8fy9Zjbd15 Nbb81SLi5UrIPKK6OfOo3p6d0VXPo9a7vI9JKwXeeZDv2DhOd/LmjBzgDBr3RNhQjwPw VBJqfuR9967TIJnldGkFfbTQRRsktjo5nbJjIs5NWCTJDca3qf3sUJt5C7e684g4vobL 39s+8Pe+ctiZ3dUqFu7/KSu9AqPAMP3zLFbHQuJvfCn7Pzok+H7UzOsq9mmouM5EHv4z mexQ==
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1691712458; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=ym7b8BhSmnxI8pt/H1rou6e0OBa0ClhgAw+yYEe/NOw9Q3XEeKzP1lYX6iZtoDOPUj KO05j0Va7C1H5tlWsekAezcK7sJYLQYKFCnHgOlKjRRHlKWRphc1Y9DU4LD+KAX4+Sb5 CU9GvC2oLYBRaJ6g4Vw4L+P2B659xgXYEzqdFc/Pt2M3VYvJRkOWYJxAQgC3ckAp8pAA A3wmgNPsLtc1c4mkQJJ4wzQJr4ji8AAiBRDs8iHnDXxqdJaSJw0OCpNaVA5bKYM/nvot u8bHLrEzh/pk4Mgw2IvB1Hv7wMefVMX5uccXJTHgjF6Vb4Np+e3sRVMzTgsbQQPPIul3 3thQ==
Sender: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Area-51" <goldsteinindustrial@gmail.com>

Wing tips. The bits on the end of the wing. The tips that arguably are hotly
contested at all points of pilots meeting and talking about aeroplanes. The
bits that cannot be improved upon. The bits that cause drag. The bits that
attempt to stop the air under the wing meeting the air at the top of the wing.
The bits that look awesomely cool and go faster. The bits that without the
aircraft would still fly fairly well. The bits that get researched by every
aerospace grad student in an effort to discover something that has never been
discovered before. The bits that get smashed off as the aircraft gets rolled
back into the hanger. The bits that are swappable depending on prevailing
conditions. Some are painted. Some are plastic. Some are metal. Some are left
off all together. I am left convinced without a doubt that humans that fly
aeroplanes are fixated upon wingtips just as a dog is fixated upon the hubcaps
of a car that drives past. That would make me just as insane as well.

So now that the pre-amble is dealt with sufficiently we can focus upon what was
achieved and how it was achieved.

33 different variations of wing tips were modelled up and each attached onto
our trusted test pig of a clean unadorned Europa Classic plug, one at a time,
and fed into the digital wind tunnel to compare and contrast the results. Some
discoveries were made and some expectations were surprisingly successful and
others unexpected. It was a fairly involved process that took a fair amount of
time to work through.

At this point itâ??s important to remember that these tests are not finite or
matched exactly to the real world. They are comparative and trend specific
only, and can only be used as indicative due to each aircraft being
individually built by hand and therefore the performance of each finished
aircraft can differ immensely.

Each model received exposure to exactly the same environment variables. So the
only alternation across the entire study has been the wing tip; there has been
no other variable applied.

Our fluid Air environment was set to standard baseline Zero AMSL values. The
AoA of the aircraft was set to Zero degrees; so the Alpha (AoA of the wing to
the Free Stream Air) will equal the Europaâ??s Wing Incidence. Our Velocity was
set to 51ms (100kt).

On each Solution Run of 100 iterations only two basic criteria were recorded
Force X (Drag), and Force Z (Lift). Because the study was comparative all that
was required was to know how â??xâ?? wing tip affected the numbers taken from
our baseline model developed upon Europa 181â??s airframe. Results are
presented as â??x,zâ?? format and are in Nm.

The Mesh resolution of each Solution was set to high.

Additional criteria reviewed upon completion of each solution were focused upon
wing tip vortex diameter; were they significantly larger or smaller than
provided by the baseline model.

This is the part in the youtube video that I say â??So letâ??s get into itâ??
in a really super excited fake way and point my finger at the camera lens.

First off the block is our trusty Pig, sorry Pug, zero alterations, and not
surprisingly it spat out:
606 / 3569

At this point I am going to supplement the results just recently received on
the wing tips modelled off VH-CUA, as they are of a more rounded form than
those on 181 and were:
CUA - 563 / 3747

Back to solution runs, a bit unconventional and worth a review all the same:
A - 627 / 4218

Could not work out why the drag results were so high; please be suggesting
something:
B - 2322 / 3250

Everybody wantâ??s to look cool, Winglets:
C - 568 / 3911

Still looking cool, looking cool, very cool etc, tweaking things and seeing the
resultsâ?¦
D â?? 593 / 3941
E â?? 572 / 3995
F â?? 582 / 4109
G â?? 583 / 4153
H â?? 583 / 4152
I â?? 603 / 3952
J â?? 577 / 4130
K â?? 592 / 4345
L â?? 585 / 4078
M â?? 594 / 4153

Things started to get boring, so just for the sake of it elliptical tips were
modelled up. The version numbers of the different elliptical tips relate to the
distance in (mm) from the outer extremity of the wing span toward the wing root
where the ellipse begins. So the lower the number the closer to the tip the
ellipse begins. The formatting of the ellipse is fairly rudimentary and is
based around the Supermarine Spitfire ratio. Versions designated â??Tâ?? relate
to the distance in (mm) added to the standard Europa wingspan of the 2950
Ellipse.

EL50 â?? 559 / 3865
EL100 â?? 547 / 3833
EL150 â?? 542 / 3864
EL250 â?? 531 / 3839
EL350 â?? 527 / 3793
EL500 â?? 523 / 3716
EL750 â?? 529 / 3690
EL1000 â?? 515 / 3646
EL1250 â?? 530 / 3533
EL1500 â?? 528 / 3425
EL2000 â?? 505 / 3394
EL2500 â?? 495 / 3359
EL2950 â?? 500 / 3249
T250 â?? 517 / 3410
T350 â?? 515 / 3669
T550 â?? 532 / 3927
T660 â?? 529 / 4170

What about chamfered wing tips, like those on a Sonex?

C01 â?? 572 / 3973

So what information can we garnish from the results of all the solution runs?

Like everything else that humans mostly do there needs to be an incentive. And
as long as there is the provision of quality and care there is no better
incentive than a free lunch!

Firstly I need to confess that test B was not a serious concept, but I was
expecting Darth Vader to turn up at any moment afterward to take his ship and
fly away with expedience.

Back to the free lunch; what do we want to see from these results? We want to
see less Drag and more Lift; because we fly Europas not Drifters.

606 / 3569 is our baseline, so anything better than that is a winner; or is it?

Looking at the Elliptical numbers we see that as the ellipse is extended the
Lift and Drag trend diminishes. However with the Winglet style tips we see a
decrease in Drag and increase in Lift trending. For example, Winglet K is
signalling 68kgâ??s of additional Lift and 1kg less Drag. Thatâ??s nothing to
scoff at when itâ??s placed on the table, and this appeared to be where the
winglets were maxing out. Fine tuning and tweaking could not really achieve any
better results. Winglet A2 was progressively trimmed back to a fairly small tip
similar to a Jabiru and did not really alter the results greatly. Did the
Winglets reduce the size of the tip vortex, yes they did by about 30% on
average; but not as much as the Elliptical tips did.

The Elliptical tips are in short simply amazing at their ability to reduce tip
vortex size by some 90% to almost nothing. Regardless of the version tested
they all displayed the ability to dramatically reduce the diameter of the tip
vortex; even the 50mm Elliptical tip provided a dramatic advantage over the
standard style wing tip found on 181. If we look at the 150mm or 250mm
Elliptical tip we can see the similarity with those found on an old Biplane or
Aviat Pitts; handy to know, and letâ??s come back to that.

Regarding the rounded tips on VH-CUA vâ??s the flatter version found on 181.
Well CUA is delivering an easy to prepare canapé that anybody can probably
achieve without too much fuss.

The Chamfered wing tip results were surprising and not expected to be that
great. But after looking at the numbers it was plain to see why this simple yet
affective style of tip is so widely used; its simple, and its affective. The
Chamfered tip returned 40kg of free lunch and 3.4kg of less alcohol to slow
things down. But where it looses out is at higher angles of attack. Although
the size of tip vortex was close to the elliptical tip in the 0deg attitude,
things change as higher angles of attack are assumed with tip vortex sizes
increasing. However the Elliptical style of wingtip does not suffer this, as
AoA is increased the tip vortex size remains quite small.

Another aspect observed of the Elliptical style tip was the extended working
area of the wing span. Where as the standard 181 style tip sees maybe 85% of
the wingspan actively generating Lift, the Elliptical style tip sees almost
100% of the wing span generating Lift. However this ability to generate more
Lift balances out again as there is less comparative surface area for the same
chord and span sizing. So as we extend the ellipse inward toward the wing root
the amount of Lift generated diminishes due to a smaller overall surface area.

Additionally Elliptical style wing tips appear to maintain laminar airflow over
the aileron section of the wing at high angles of attack along with very small
tip vortex sizes, with the stall characteristics trending to an overall higher
AoA ability of the wing to remain flying which in itself assists STOL
capabilities.

Feeding all the results into a simple algorithm of (z/x) versions K, E250,
E350, T350, T550, T660 stand out as decent performers, all bouncing over the
7.15 mark with T660 on top at 7.88 by cutting Drag down some 7kg while
increasing Lift by 61kg. However E250 and E350 at 7.22, 7.19 respectfully
probably win due to their more conservative gains of letâ??s say 7kg reduction
in Drag and 28kg increase in Lift while the wingspan remains unchanged.

So at the end of it all E250 and E350 appear to be an achievable style of tip
and similar to those found on old biplanes and the Aviat Pitts and based upon
comparative results a very efficient form of wing tip perhaps? Either way it
would appear that Elliptical style wing tips cannot be beaten when it comes to
overall aerodynamic performance and efficiency.

Read this topic online here:

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/d9aab92a_f525_4f91_8601_03199bae258d_145.jpeg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/48e45224_cb85_453c_aeaa_1ff9537fe11f_416.jpeg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/27e88b6f_cc1d_4cbc_a2bb_c23cc0b7a27e_485.jpeg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/92e8edb1_57ca_411a_987f_4c879101fb5b_190.jpeg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/7254c55e_392d_49cc_808c_2f4549be88cb_201.jpeg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/ef4a41ae_a659_4e79_92f0_6d2bfbde1f6a_193.jpeg
http://forums.matronics.com//files/02f7aee2_c0ce_41f9_b1ad_af19aeb3e01f_190.jpeg

_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
_-= Photoshare, and much much more:
_-=
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
_-=
_-============================================================
_-=               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
_-=
_-=   --> http://forums.matronics.com
_-=
_-=              - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_-= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!
_-=   --> http://wiki.matronics.com
_-=             - List Contribution Web Site -
_-=  Thank you for your generous support!
_-=                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-=   --> https://matronics.com/contribution