Re: Europa-List: access hatches on neville eyre's cowl - hinge query

Subject: Re: Europa-List: access hatches on neville eyre's cowl - hinge query
From: Donald Cameron <fireflier@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:27:51

Hi Rowland

I have fitted mine as described by Kelvin, and
The cut out is similar to the photo he posted.

Kind regards
Donald
G-PUPY

Sent from my iPhone

> On 7 Jul 2023, at 23:55, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Ive just cut out the hatch covers from the larger pieces that Neville supplied
with the cowl, and have made the holes in the access recesses with 10mm flanges
all round. The hatches fettled easily to beautiful fits, but now I have a
problem.

> The recess for the hinge, in both locations, is only 2mm below the level of
> the
hatch cover - but the MS20001-3 hinge needs about 5mm depth. I think I need
to cut off each recessed hinge plate that Neville provided and replace it with
a new layup that is more deeply recessed.

> Or maybe remove that recess completely and attach the fixed leaf of the hinge
to the undersurface of the cowl? If the hinge was fitted knuckle up the would
have to be exposed. If it was knuckle down, I dont think it would open far
enough
to be practical.

> Im not sure about the fasteners. I would counter sink the rivets into the
> fixed
leaf of the hinge, leaving the set ends inside the cowl. Obviously the rivets
in the top leaf will need to be countersunk into the hatch cover but I wonder
if there will be room for the set ends of the pop-rivets between the leaves
of the hinge.

> Questions:
>
> (1) Is there something really obvious that I have missed about fitting the
> hinges?
>
> (2) I propose 3 layers of BID for the new deeper-recessed hinge plate,
> overlapping
onto the body of the cowl by at least 50mm in 3 directions.

> (3) Is there any merit in the alternative of fixing the fixed hinge leaf to
> the
inner surface of the cowl?