Europa-List: Re: 914 Air Filter

Subject: Europa-List: Re: 914 Air Filter
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:24:58

I have determined that K&N RU0600 air filter fits a 914 turbo inlet properly.

The turbo inlet measures 2.35 (59.69mm).

Rotax specifies P/N 825750.  The illustrated parts manual shows filter ID is
2.44
(62mm), filter media height is 3.94 (100mm) and media diameter is 3.54 (90mm).
  I purchased this filter and received a K&N RU0800 filter, with the Rotax
part number on the box.  Indeed K&N website confirms the above dimensions.

The inlet diameter is too large. If you tighten the clamp enough to secure the
filter, the filter is forced off the turbo.

K&N states All filters are constructed with ultra-strong molded pliable rubber
flanges which absorb vibration and allow for secure attachment and can also be
stretched for up to 1/16 of an inch (1.5mm) to fit in-between sizes.

RU0600 is listed with ID 2.25 (57mm).  Media height and diameter are the same as
RU0800.

I purchased RU0600 from a local parts store with hopes that it would stretch and
fit. It fits the 914 turbo perfectly!  The clamp holds it in place without
distortion
and does not try to force the filter off the turbo.

I have advised Leading Edge Airfoils of my finding and also filed a report with
Rotax.

RU1700 appears to have the same dimension with a 20 deg offset that some need to
fit their aircraft.

Jim Butcher

Read this topic online here: