Re: Europa-List: Brake reservoir mounting - Trigear

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Brake reservoir mounting - Trigear
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 14:39:08
Hi Paul,
Since you are installing Matco masters, I would put the reservoir on the fi
rewall.
Even the Jamar benefits from the master higher up on the firewall.
Reason:  Maintenance.
Matco prefers 5606.  It is sticky and stains.  Lasts forever but does absor
b water from the air and should be changed out once it begins to discolor.
 Dot 5 silicone brake fluid is normally a nice purple or clear but if it st
arts to yellow or turn slightly red, change it.  If it is discolored it is
contaminated with water.  Dot 5 is nice to use as it doesn't stain if you d
rip some.  So I put the reservoir on the firewall as it is easy to get to a
nd inspect on my routine 25 hour inspection/oil change.  This requires me t
o plumb more line to the masters.  I use the =BC inch OD 1/8 ID vinyl tubin
g for the reservoir line to make that chore easy as there is no pressure on
 the line so a simple barb fitting is all that is necessary and it won't le
ak.  To clean out the old fluid simply tip and drain the reservoir, then ad
d fresh and pump the fluid down to a bleeder cup/container filled with flui
d until the fluid is clean again.  It works fine for me but does require an
 assistant.  Bleeding from the bottom slave cylinder I can do IAW my articl
e single handedly and it is excellent exercise getting up and down to drain
 the reservoir.  If working alone, I simply undo the reservoir and let it d
rain into a pan setting on the footwell, but only if I have no need for the
 exercise.  Plummbing the Matcos does require some head scratching to make
them easy to inspect/service/plumb.  Just remember the reservoir should be
the highest point in the brake system to operate properly.

Putting the reservoir in the tunnel is OK but requires the time to get into
 the tunnel to check the condition and the level of the fluid.  It is a bla
ck hole in there, only openned on the annual normally, and you have to plac
e your reservoir and line where it is easily serviced.  This can be done, b
ut it just requires planning.  I have my fuel pumps, fuel flow and pressure
 senders, parking brake, stall horn, and fuel selector in there, so my hole
 is a bit tight on observation space.

I placed my reservoir it where it can be seen (with a flashlight and some h
ead cranking) on the firewall behind and offset from the fuel pressure regu
lator.  I should have put it on the oil tank side.  Duh...

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly