Re: Europa-List: CKT silencer crack

Subject: Re: Europa-List: CKT silencer crack
From: Donald Cameron <fireflier@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:42:28

Morning Jonathan

Hope your keeping well?

I had a very similar failure with my silencer at around the same number of hrs
on my aircraft, new silencer was indeed required.

I have just had the number 3 cylinder down pipe fail on friday afternoon whilst
flying. The Number 2 down pipe had no more than 30hrs on it before the failure

Hope you can get things fixed soon.

Kind regard's
Donald
Donald

Sent from my iPhone

> On 27 Feb 2023, at 00:10, JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> This damage looks difficult to repair by welding. The "collar" into which the
exhaust header tube is held with springs, has broken the weld most of the way
around where it attaches to the silencer box. There are other broken small welds
where the other header tubes get inserted.
> Throughout the 300 hours total in the air since the silencer was first
> installed,
the carburettors have been kept electronically balanced and the Airmaster
propeller is also well balanced. The silencer was suspended with utmost care
to avoid strains as the flange nuts got tightened, making sure to tighten the
telescopic joint in #1 header tube last.