Re: Europa-List: inner door handle knob positioning

Subject: Re: Europa-List: inner door handle knob positioning
From: MIKE CHRISTINE DUANE <duanefamly@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:36:45
I also installed a knob on the inside of the operating arm so as to not scra
tch up the Perspex. I simply used a wooden drawer pull knob that I painted t
o match the interior. I also installed a simple safety guard made of aluminu
m plate screwed to the door frame and also painted to match. When closed, th
e arm and knob tuck nicely away behind the guard and the only way to open th
e door is to purposely stick your finger behind the guard and pull up on the
 handle. No accidental or inadvertent opening in flight.

Mike Duane
N377EA
EUROPA XS Conventional Gear
Chandler, Arizona, USA

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 22, 2023, at 9:18 AM, timward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB
> =EF=BBHi Rowland,
> I have the door knob on the inside face. The safety guard is designed to c
over the knob in case of inadvertent opening. Made from composite. Some buil
ders I have seen don=99t have a door knob at all. Their safety guard i
s a simple aluminium plate fixed to the window frame covering the handle whe
n door is closed. I have had no problems with my design and a knob is helpfu
l for opening the door and holding on to it in windy conditions.

on@gmail.com>

>> I tried to post this by e-mail but it didn't show up, so am trying again b
y the website. Have had some feedback via a posting on the Club WhatsApp gro
up but would welcome any other opinions.

>> I=99ve reached the stage of making knobs for the inner door handles
 and am puzzled about the advice in the manual. It calls for the inside hand
le to be cranked inwards so that a knob can be fitted on the outboard face. T
hat seem to be an invitation for scratches on the Perspex from fingernails, r
ings, watches etc.

>> Is there any reason the knob cannot be fitted on the inner face of the ha
ndle, thus keeping the operating hand and its jewellery further from the del
icate Perspex? I can see that before the advent of the safety guard, having a
 knob on the inner face that could be accidentally caught by a sleeve etc is
 a BAD THING; but the safety guard pretty much eliminates that possibility.

>> Now that I=99ve fitted the Perspex in the doors, I can see how much
 clearance there is between the handle and the glazing. As it=99s alre
ady quite close to the Perspex, I=99d be happy to leave the handle str
aight and fit a small knob on the inner face.

==          - The Europa-List Ema=============
=============bsp;      - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -