Re: Europa-List: Looking for a north-eastern USA builder/flyer for a

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Looking for a north-eastern USA builder/flyer for a
From: Dpc <dpc@knightonweb.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 19:57:30
Pete

Glad you managed to source what you needed from the US. Can I ask how you ar
e planning to ream out the hinges to take this new, larger pin, or are the h
inges sufficiently worn that a 2.5mm pin will just slide in anyway?

Thanks

David
GBWJH

> On 24 Oct 2022, at 18:16, Pete Zut <peterz@zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB
> update:  just now I did manage to a place a credit card order using my old
 zutrasoft inc.  company.  :-D
> (last time they refused)
>
> Fingers x'd!!!
>
> Cheers,
> PeteZ
> C-GNPZ
>
>> On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 1:08 PM Pete Zut <peterz@zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>> Sadly McMaster Carr will not entertain any Canadian Customers unless they
 are a large commercial account.

>> My hinges are worn and require replacement or reaming/fitting larger pins
 (a common issue for all us flyers).  Std 3/32" 3087 welding rod would be a t
errific idea for all new builders - to replace the factory-loose pins in std
  aviation extruded hinge material, and prevent/reduce this wear issue. Sadl
y, once worn, 3/32" will no longer fix a worn hinge problem.

>> Thus I am looking for a unicorn size 2.5mm (0.098") stainless (308/316 et
c) close tolerance rod.

>> The only place I've found it is of course Mcmaster Carr - who will not ta
ke my order. Is there a kind USA-based Europa-ite willing to order for me an
d re-post to me up here in Ottawa, ON, Canada K2S1L1?

>> the item in question which may also be helpful for other builders/flyers:

>> https://www.mcmaster.com/rods/diameter~2-5mm/
>> "Combine these general purpose drive shafts with gears, sprockets, and be
arings to transmit rotary motion. All are precision ground to meet tight dia
meter and straightness tolerances.

>> Stainless steel shafts are more corrosion resistant than steel shafts but
 also more difficult to machine. 316 stainless steel shafts have excellent c
orrosion resistance.

>> Shafts with chamfered edges have their edges ground to reduce damage to b
earings, housings, and other components during installation.