RE: Europa-List: Black Plastic Static Vent

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Black Plastic Static Vent
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 13:10:12

Kingsley,

This happens all too often.  It would be prudent to carry a spare in your flying
tool kit.  Another smart idea is an alternate static source (I have used the
aircraft cockpit pressure in the Europa.  Altitude was within 50 feet and speed
within a couple knots.

Here are two fixes a couple of my clients made for a permanent solution.

Joe Like inserted a dome head short sheet metal screw into the end of the static
tube.  He then cross drilled the existing stainless tube (not easy to drill)
with the smallest bit he could find.  He used a #60  bit drilled at a 45 degree.
Worked OK.  I never flew the plane to verify A/S or altitude.

Another customer used 1/16 ID tube I had in the shop and another 1/4 inch OD
tube
and some JB Weld Epoxy.  He inserted the thin tube into the existing pitot,
using a number of my small numbered drill bits to open up the stainless to fit
the small tube (about an 1/8 inch OD 1/16 ID). He then fit the 1/4 inch tube
over the 1/8 OD tube.  He assembled the tubes with a touch of JB Weld, rounded
the tip, then cross drilled the soft aluminum tube (which was a lot easier to
drill) with a #60 or .040 drill bit.  Then he trimmed it to length installed.
 He worked 1/2 day on it plus cure time.  Looks nice and is somewhat tougher.

Another idea was to use brass tubing from a hobby shop to make it up.  Again,
time
consuming.

The main thing is the home made tube tip is roughly even with the pitot for
length
and looks.  The hole position is no closer to the end of the round tip on
the straight section at about 1 cm or 1/2 inch back for proper static
measurement.
Remember, there is no flow through a static port (or a pitot port for that
matter) (IFR heated tubes and their vents excluded)).  So, the size of the
holes is small and tubing size is not terribly important other than for
attaching.
Hence the 1/8 ID flex tubing in the Europa is just fine, whereas your A&P
and avionics types all complain there is no flow capability.  Education of folks
on pitot/static is tough.

You can look on line for pitot / static tube design.  It may help explain why
the
static on a tube has to be so far behind the tip if you want to know.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly