Europa-List: CKT exhaust cracks

Subject: Europa-List: CKT exhaust cracks
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:53:46

After less than 50 hours since buying a replacement exhaust header tube from CKT
for #3 cylinder, it has cracked almost completely around at the level where
the loop attachments for the springs are welded on. Considering that this is
second
time that such cracking occurs in the same location on both old and replacement
tubes, it's reasonable to assume that it will happen repeatedly.

This time I'll get the crack welded, but I anticipate that the crack will just
appear sooner than before, due to added welding stresses in the metal.

The carburettors are electronically balanced, the Airmaster propeller is well
balanced
and the engine supporting rubber dampers show no sign of sagging due to
age. The whole assembly flies as smoothly as ever.

So who has similar problems with CKT exhaust systems and what has anybody done
previously to prevent cracking?

Read this topic online here: