Europa-List: query on fitting cockpit glazing

Subject: Europa-List: query on fitting cockpit glazing
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 20:09:22

Im working up my courage to bond in the windows. I note that for preparation of
the glazing rebates, page 35-5 of the build manual says:

Scuff sand the rebated areas of the doors and front screen

In general, for bonding anything to areas of prepreg that have gel-coat, I have
ground (sanded or power-filed) off the gel-coat so that the bond will be to the
underlying composite rather than the gel-coat. Thats based on advice I had
---From Neville who also said that all abrading prior to making bonds or layups
should
be quite aggressive. The above advice to scuff-sand seems in comparison
a bit wimpish and suggests that the gel-coat need not be removed, only
roughened.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Will I cause a problem if I sand off
the gel-coat on the rebates?

in friendship

Rowland