Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 7/23 -

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 7/23 -
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 23:38:40
Much better efficiency than my ride to/from the show lol
PeteZ :)

> On Aug 1, 2022, at 12:44 PM, Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com> wrot
e:

> =EF=BBWow, what a week it was!  As most of you know Fred Klein and I fl
ew N28ET from Las Vegas to Oshkosh and back.  Round trip was approximately 3
,100 sm burning 98 gallons of fuel, taking 20 hrs block to block.  Of course
 this doesn=99t take into account the various ground delays, extended t
axi time at KOSH, weather rerouting and strong headwinds that prevailed.   S
till, this works out to an average ground speed of 155 mph, and a fuel econo
my of 32 mpg.

> With two tents, two sleeping bags, two air mattress, laptop, iPad, clothes
, tools, and spare parts we were a bit on the heavy side. While in the plann
ing stage I consulted with Jim Butcher who advised me to limited the aft cg t
o 61.5=9D.  This required some creative packing to get the cg just rig
ht.

> Other than a longer than normal ground roll for takeoff the plane perform a
s usual.  The Rotax 914 is a wonderful engine perfectly suited for the Europ
a.

> A good portion of the trip was flown in the high teens.   However, crossin
g the Rocky Mountains on the return required us to climb up 18,000 ft msl (2
0,000 ft DA) to remain clear of the convective buildups that we=99re f
orming at an alarming rate.

> Our last leg from KVEL required the largest weather deviation in order to r
emain clear of the convective front which was several hundred mile long.

> All in all, it was a fantastic trip and N28ET did not disappoint to bring a
 smile to our faces as we crisscrossed the USA.

> I would like to give a special shout out to Jim and Heather for coordinati
ng the Europa Forum and to Pete Z. for his hospitality (especially the NEXT b
eer, haha) and rescuing me when my tent collapsed due to 60mph winds.