Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 7/23 - 7/29

Subject: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa this week 7/23 - 7/29
From: dmac7 <dmac7@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:55:44

Last week I installed a new throttle system, different from the stock set-up &
I think better. It's a McFarlane cable assembly with cockpit adjustable tension
lever. Thx to Bud Yearly for his helpful document on throttle ideas, I still
his adjustable lever idea & idle stop but made one other change.   I made two
aluminum washers shaped like the throttle box so that can't rotate this makes
it feel and work better.  I found that larger friction washers worked better
too but we're hard to source so I made 1 1/4" phenolic washers with a hole saw.

The throttle lever pivot arc rises and falls causing the cable piston/rod end
assembly
to rise and fall too.  I slotted  the box to allow for this movement without
jamming.
This requires a seal to keep it clean in operation.  Contact cement and the
finger
of a latex glove did the trick.

The cable run is short and direct, no bends greater than 45 deg.  Friction is
very
low and McFarlane supply throttle springs 50% reduced tension.   The 100%
& 115% stop will be on the top plate later..    It is a very sweet set-up and
is so smooth.

Read this topic online here: