Europa-List: Re: Fuel tank leak

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel tank leak
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 11:23:16

Sorry to hear Will. I hope the repair goes smoothly.

I think that the day I go through this I will make a fiberglass tank as done by
one of our members in the US. I met him during SnF this year but can't remember
his name. My LongEZ tank is epoxy glass construction and is 30 years old with
no leaks. This member built a foam plug covered with duct tape for release
and then covered with glass. Made a top and bottom and then joined together once
the plug was removed. Also made some really nice aluminum reinforced sections
to drill and tap to use screw fittings for the pickup at the bottom. Much better
than the silly bosses our tanks have. He also adjusted the size so that
the door sill would not need to be cut (or so is my understanding).

He did a nice job and he's happy with the outcome. Of course, getting a PE tank,
if still available, is the fastest and less labor intensive route but then you
run the risk of going through  the same BS in the future.

BTW, make 100% sure it is the tank. My neighbor once swore he had a tank leak
and
it was hose/fitting related. But I am sure you checked for that.

Best of luck,
Chris

Read this topic online here: