Re: Europa-List: Fuel coupling hoses at bottom of fuel tank

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel coupling hoses at bottom of fuel tank
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 16:07:07
I used silicon hoses that are declared fuel proof.

This site is in the UK but serves as a sample.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/samco-silicone-hoses-kits/samco-straigh
t-silicone-hose-lengths

Alan

Sent from my iPhone

> On 30 Mar 2022, at 15:53, n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> Last weekend I had a failure of the 1 inch ID fuel coupling hose for the v
ent line at the top of the tank. The interior of the hose had swollen near t
he interface between the fitting and the PE boss in the tank (I assume there
 was contact with gasoline at this interface) and pulled out. But now I am c
oncerned about the pickups at the bottom of the tank since a failure there m
eans bye bye all fuel (except for 2.5 gallons). I checked the ones at the bo
ttom of the tank and they look fine with no leaks but I am now concerned abo
ut the suitability of these coupling hoses.

> When I got my old kit I replaced these couplings with hoses like the old o
nes in the kit (red stripe, same braiding, thickness, etc). I got high quali
ty USCG approved but they are Type A2 (not for continuous contact with gasol
ine). Only thing with same characteristics and after all, red stripe as in t
he old couplings is generally in A2 filler hose.

> Of course I could go to Europa to order these couplings but for something l
ike this I think I should try to spec something here in the US. Any hints as
 to what people have used and were to buy? Type A1 (or A1-15) hose would be b
etter but the ones I found online look like stiff heavily braided hoses so n
ot sure they would work.

> I also wonder how hard it will be to replace them? Will the fittings in th
e tank come out? Not looking forward to that job :(

=========
=========
=========
=========