Europa-List: Re: Propeller Sizing

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Propeller Sizing
From: budyerly@msn.com <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 08:43:39

Mike,
My website has how to select a prop for your Rotax.

The 62 inch Warp Drive Taper blade is fine for most 80HP Rotax powerplants.
The Rotax 912ULS 100HP has significantly more torque and the 62 inch tapered
blade
is not very efficient.  My US folks were very disapointed with trying to use
this short tapered blade on the 912ULS in both the Airmaster and the fixed
pitch versions.

The blade angle will be quite high and takeoff will be shortened, climb will be
less and the cruise will be about 5 knots slower.  The 80HP Rotax won't spin
a wide chord 64 inch without lugging the engine down.  There is just not enough
torque.  The tip at takeoff is not able to bite for good performance.

The LAA recommendations is for the Warp Drive Standard (wide chord) blade of 64
inch for the Europa (which limits the length for the airframe to 64 inches) and
was the standard Airmaster for a number of years.  The 100HP Rotax has the
higher torque and can spin the wider and longer props with authority.

Also available for the cost of a blade change is the Sensenich high speed
blades.
Whirlwind has a blade but due to Covid lockdowns in California lead time is
many months.  Sensenich and Warp Drive are made in free States so production
and labor issues are not a major problem for delivery at this time.  Airmaster
will build you up a set of blades and ferrules ready to mount.  It will cost
you but it is worth it.

Contact: Dirk Oyen
Oyen CTR (Europe Sales and Service)
Hemelrijk 61
Heusen-Zolder
Limburg 3550
Belgium

E: dirk.oyen1@telenet.be
M: +32 477 25 80 28

Website: www.propellor.com your European Airmaster Dealer.  He has the
experience you will need to draw on in the UK (See the Airmaster Contacts
section for resellers.)

I have been happy with all the US manufactured blades in the Airmaster Hub.
 And NO, you personally can't change the blades yourself.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly
US Airmaster Dealer

Read this topic online here: