RE: Europa-List: Noisy cockpit

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Noisy cockpit
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 04:17:21
Chris,
I'm surprised, as the Rotax with the Europa supplied CKT muffler is quite q
uiet with the 912S.

N12AY is a trigear.  With the sealed tunnel and 914 it is very quiet.  Most
 passengers in it are amazed at how quiet and smooth it is.
That said, the Mono tends to be noisier due to the wheel well and airflow t
hrough the tunnel.

The 912S is not that much noisier than the 914.  Turbos with a muffler real
ly quiets it.
The 912S is a bit rougher of an engine than the 914.  But it is smoother th
an a Lycoming.
The RV and Zenith Rotax powered aircraft are noisy in my opinion (I've flow
n a lot of Zeniths).  The metal tends to reflect the noise in the cockpit
The LSA metal aircraft are not terribly noisy with an interior and properly
 fitted canopy.
A properly built composite aircraft is very solid sounding.  Free from oil
canning noises common in metal aircraft.

In my articles on my website and other places I give some typical causes of
 vibration.  Word doc attached of an old one.
In my Rotax troubleshooting guide I make mention of the carb balance tuning
.  I normally can balance a Rotax by ear and visual inspection.
If the mag drop (ignition check) is at the limit or a touch higher, you hav
e carb balance and or ignition issues.

Here are some tips for smoothness some folks don't realize:
Run up the engine and if your calves begin to vibrate, it is the propeller.
  Your calf muscle is about the 1/4 harmonic of the prop.
If the prop has one blade out by a 1/2 degree the vibration is awful.  Make
 sure the prop blade angles are as close as possible to one another.  If yo
u didn't static balance your prop with the spinner.  You must.

Trying to find noise and vibration is straight forward:
On the ground:  Tied down.
Pull the cowl and run the engine and note the ignition modules.  They shoul
d be steady from idle to full power.  I mean you should be able to read the
 serial number at idle and fuzzy up to 4000.  After 4000 the uncowled engin
e is hard to read.
Check the exhaust and look for any broken springs, down pipes and make sure
 the reflector shield is secure and doesn't rattle.  The muffler and pipes
should not contact the cowl or engine frame.
Check the Binx nuts are tight and the frame is tight.
Check the propeller tracking while its running.  (Safely abeam the prop arc
 at low power and well clear.)  I know that's odd, but it happens that blad
es have been known to flex.  One poorly seated blade can be seen.
Check the spinner tracks.  Europa classic spinners are tough to get precise
ly smooth.  And they are long and heavy.
Have the propeller dynamically balanced.  (The Europa is a very light aircr
aft and the whole airframe shakes from the prop blast sometimes making a pr
op balance difficult.)  It may need to be done in flight.
I've flown hard and soft mounts.  Neither had a noise difference or vibrati
on.
Listen to your exhaust note.  If very loud you probably have a modified muf
fler or its blown out a baffle.  The Rotax can sound like one of those rice
 burner cars the kids run around in if the muffler is not either a Rotax or
 the even quieter CKT muffler.
There are a number of mufflers for the Rotax.  Some are awful.  I'm prejudi
ced in that the CKT is the nicest note.  That's why it is used by most of t
he manufacturers in Europe as it meets the DB level.
Look for engine to cowl rub marks.

Ground Airframe Checks:
Run the engine at various RPMs (roughest point preferably) and listen to th
e airframe.  Put your ear next to the wing, the stabs, the fuselage.
Ground Rattle checks:
Doors without any seals will rattle a bit.
Access panels that are loose especially the cockpit ones are noisy, heavy w
ires rattle if not tied.
Rudder cables that are not properly guided and clearance and vibrate agains
t bulkheads, and fuselage unless properly supported.
The panel starboard side is often only secured at the top and will vibrate
against the fiberglass firewall.

Climb in the aircraft:
The Europa is like being in a Thermos insulated bottle.  Pretty well solidl
y glued and therefore like wood in that it is devoid of skin rattles and no
ises.  If you hear rattles and noises, you have components that are vibrati
ng in the structure.
Case in point:  If a control rod in the wing is just barely clearing a rib,
 if there is vibration, it will be transmitted to the airframe.
Feel the airframe at different RPMs.  Relax your legs and feel the movement
 of your butt, legs, and arms.
Observe your instrument panel.  A shallow clear cup of water that is splash
ing is your first sign of serious vibration issues.
Check your instrument panel is not vibrating blurring the analogue instrume
nts.

The mono wheel well can be rather noisy from air flow.  This depends on man
y factors:
The gaps in the gear and brake handle and any other holes.  Gear frame arm
to fuselage cutout clearance.
Door seals are important.  If the door seals are leaky, there is a suction
in the cockpit formed and the air is pulled through the slots in the cockpi
t module.
Wing gap seals are necessary also as the air between the fuselage and wing
root as the air smacks into the spar then rumbles into the cockpit.

Finally, interior finish choices are important.  Paint is light, but the fa
bric / padded leather interior is very quiet.

At 100 knots or less you can casually talk in 12AY.  Over 120 knots indicat
ed, the wind noise outside the canopy is quite loud in any aircraft.
I've never needed ANR headsets in any of the aircraft I have built.

I'm interested in your rebuilt engine.  Did they tinker with anything or is
 it stock?  A difference in timing makes a difference in smoothness.  Like
I said before, if the muffler is one of those "Performance" mufflers.  They
 are loud.

Finally,  paint and finish tightens up the aircraft, smooths the airflow al
so.  It is like a washed car is quieter.

My test is:
If my wife can go 2000 miles in 6 hops without complaining about noise, sea
ts, or anything other than our bladders, I know my plane is comfortable and
 quiet.  She can't go that far in our Honda Accord.  She prefers my F150 wh
en we travel.

Hopefully, you find your issues and enjoy a very quiet, comfortable aircraf
t.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly