RE: Europa-List: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt
From: D McFadyean <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 15:39:43
stop

Steve,
Sorry, I'm not happy about having to execute the mod either, but I support the
LAA's approach and find it difficult to see where it 'went wrong'.

Duncan McF.

> On 09 November 2021 at 10:55 Steve Ivell <SteveIvell@pestproof.co.uk> wrote:
>

> So....in the ongoing furore regarding this MPD/Safety Bulletin....call it what
you will......I decided to write to Andy Draper to ask why the 5 hour deadline
and why are the LAA making the parts rather than Europa Factory.

> Here is his response....
>
> Dear Steve,
>
> The factory is of the same mind as you, that this is simply a check-list
> issue,
but the fact that many Europa doors have been lost over the years would suggest
that just the check-list is inadequate in this case.  With the latest incident
resulted in the door striking not only the tailplane but apparently also
the pilot, it would be negligent to ignore it, would you not agree?  LAA
Engineering
decided not to ignore this issue, not only because the AAIB required positive
action following the last incident, but because the safety of LAA members
is topmost in its remit.  It is a very real possibility that the next incident
would result in the loss of an aircraft with fatal consequences.

> As to the compliance requirement; how many hours would you have made it if it
was your decision and you who had to answer to an inquest if you got it wrong?
Heaven forbid that the next incident happens even within the next 5 hours of
flying.  Perhaps the compliance requirement should have actually been before
next flight to remove any risk.

> The fitting of these stops is pretty straight-forward, even for owners who
> hadnt
built the aircraft themselves.  With your experience, Im sure youll have little
difficulty in fitting them within an hour or two.  Youre not obliged to
purchase the kit of parts that LAA Engineering has commissioned and sells
through
the on-line shop at no profit  (its not LAA Engineering who is making the
parts  theres no manufacturing capability here), as youll see from the SM
leaflet.
If any Europa gets grounded because of using up the 5 hours allowed within
the next couple of weeks at this time of year, which is not particularly
conducive
to touring, Id be somewhat surprised.
> I have to say the response lacks empathy with us as owners and I get the
> feeling
that the LAA were a bit pissed that the Europa Factory weren't.....so they
took it upon themselves to act. I had drafted a response but not sent it yet!!
Lol

> Cheers
>
> Steve
> GSTES XS 912
> 50m Backstroke and Cub Scout badges!!

On Behalf Of John Wighton
> Sent: 09 November 2021 10:24
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: Europa-List: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop
>

> Brian,
> I am having a conversation with you.   I have no reason to call Andy D at this
time.  As I said before, there is no such thing as too much safety.
> Thanks also for the definition of a mandatory SM.  We have five cats - they
> all
have different names.  But they are all still cats!