Re: Europa-List: TriGear - storage at home vs on an airfield

Subject: Re: Europa-List: TriGear - storage at home vs on an airfield
From: Ken Atkinson <kennethatkinson178@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 23:44:30

Peter, My mono is kept at home in an enclosed trailer and I rig by
myself. It was first flown in 2008 and now has 640 hours. Rigging,
derigging and transporting in its' purpose built, insulated trailer with
wing and stabilator cradles has not caused any obvious wear or problems.
I usually trail it about 8 miles to my local airfield.

Previously I did the same with my Rand KR2.This was designed to have
removable wings with automatic aileron connection and one man rigging
aids and a purpose built trailer. I flew this for 8 years and 300 hours
with no problems.

Previously I flew a Clutton Fred for 13 years and 300+ hrs. I initially
used an open trailer to transport this folding wing aircraft but
eventually built an enclosed trailer for improved protection and to
simplify storage at home.

All these trailers were towed behind a campervan. An enclosed trigear
europa trailer can end up too heavy to legally pull behind a smaller
vehicle? My trailer and van are just legal ie less than 3500kg train
weight!

All the above aircraft and trailers were designed to be rigged and
derigged! Eric Clutton designed the Fred to be folded,Ivan Shaw
designed the Europa to be deriggable and kept at home and Geoff
Bailey-Woods designed our KR2s to be deriggable.

If you have a handy airfield with good hangarage use it and don't worry
about the cost! One possibility may be to derig at the airfield and
store in a container or purpose built hangar.This avoids the regular
trailering.

Cheers Ken.

On 27/09/2021 10:06, Ordwood wrote:

> Do we have any owners on the forum who keep their aircraft at home on a
> regular
basis.
> Weve just bought a Tri-gear and are trying to make the final decision on where
to keep it.
> Fully appreciate that it would involve rigging/de-rigging on every flight day
but the difference in cost is substantial.