Re: Europa-List: ofcom gobbledegook ??

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ofcom gobbledegook ??
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:06:00
This is what I have done for my aircraft and installation. I have attached t
o the aircraft documents the following:

I have undertaken an assessment required by Ofcom to determine the risk of e
xposure to harmful EMF radiation from equipment installed and determined the
 following.

FLARM Equipment: The radiated power is below that required for an assessment
.

VHF Handheld Radio: The radiated power is below that required for assessment
.

VHF Radio: The  manufactures stated specification for nominal output power i
s 6 watt. The radio is used for less than 90 seconds in any 6 minute period a
nd is therefore compliant.

Transponder: I have undertaken an assessment an determined that with a manuf
actures specified output of 125 watt and a duty cycle of 0.55% the radiated p
ower is less than 4 watt. The compliance distance required is determined as l
ess than 26cm (0.26m). The antenna is mounted in the rear fuselage and is mo
re than 26 cm from the passenger compartment and is is only selected to tran
smit prior to take-of and deselected as part of the after landing checks.

=46rom the above assessment I have determined that there is no risk of EMF e
xposure to the General Public from any transmitter equipment installed in th
is aircraft.

This is specific to my aircraft but hope that helps.

Alan Burrill

PS I am a retired radar engineer and provided the technical feedback/advice o
n compliance to the CAA and Ofcom through AOPA.

Sent from my iPad

> On 28 Aug 2021, at 07:52, Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB=46rom the AOPA Website:
>
> https://www.aopa.co.uk/news-media/selected-news/item/745-ofcom-emf-guidanc
e-for-aeronautical-radio-users.html

> Alan Burrill
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>>> On 27 Aug 2021, at 20:51, Paul Munford <pmdental@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>
>> =EF=BB
>> To =93 Brian Davies
>>
>> re =93 Ofcom,....Try as I might I cannot find any reference to this
 on the LAA website ?

>> Any clues as to it=99s whereabouts please on the site ?
>>
>> Thankyou
>>
>> Paul

ally, don't worry about it at the moment.

>> Brian Davies
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 8:06 PM Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I wrote an article for the August AOPA magazine.
>>>
>>> Alan Burrill
>>> G-OBJT
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

ut don=99t understand what we are supposed to do ??