RE: Europa-List: Is Mod 38 a good idea?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Is Mod 38 a good idea?
From: m.j.gregory@talk21.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:45:20
Further to the other good reasons of avoiding blockage and rain ingress
already put forward, the mod 38 leaflet also says that the mod is: "To
minimise pressure changes due to changes in engine power or airspeed it
is desirable to avoid any pitot pressure in these vents." The reason
this is undesirable is not included in the leaflet, but it is simply
because the volume of air between the sight gauge vent inlet and the
column of fuel in the tube is much smaller than the volume of air
between the tank vent inlet and the fuel surface. Hence any change in
pitot pressure applied to both the vents would take much longer to
change the pressure in the tank than in the sight gauge, resulting in
false sight gauge readings until equilibrium was reached.

Mike

Dr Mike Gregory

Europa Club Safety Officer