Re: Europa-List: Larger oil cooler - Classic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Larger oil cooler - Classic
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 19:11:02
Hi Michalm,
Best solution is to reposition the oil coolant below the spinner. An alterat
ion to the lower cowl with a inlet for the oil cooler. Easily done with comp
osite experience or get someone to do it for you. No bull nose required just
 keep with the original profile. See photos. I have to place a barrier in wi
nter to keep the temperature up 110C Rotax prefers the engine to run at. Wor
ks very well.
Cheers,
Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton
CHRISTCHURCH 8052
Hom 03315166

> On 13/05/2021, at 18:53, michalm <m.milos@me.com> wrote:
>

> Hello fellow Europa enthusiasts!
>
> I'm trying to solve the oil cooling issue in my 912 ULS powered Classic. I
 have the standard cooling setup with a 10 row oil cooler behind the port ra
diator and slightly enlarged cowl outlets. On hot days (30 C) and loaded to m
ax weight I very quickly reach 120 C oil temp during a climb of just 2000 ft
. If I let it cruise a bit it will go down to 115 C within a few minutes, 11
0 C if I reach cooler air higher up. The coolant stays below 90 C, except th
e climb phase where it reaches around 100 C. So far after reading your past d
iscussions I came up with 2 possible solutions:
> 1. Moving the oil cooler below the spinner.
> 2. Installing an oil/water heat exchanger to supplement the oil cooler.
>
> The first is a bit invasive and as I'm not the original builder I don't fe
el fully confident to perform, yet. The second one is tempting but I thought
 about trying a simpler solution first: exchanging the oil cooler for a larg
er model. Mocal makes various sizes - the 13 row should fit without issues a
nd perhaps the 16 row version will fit as well (if it can clear the exhaust p
ipe).

> Has anyone tried this approach? How effective this may be without enlargin
g the cowl outlets? According to charts on Mocal website I should expect a r
eduction of oil temp of around 8 C (16 row vs 10 row), but that assumes a fr
ee air flow which is most likely not the case inside the cowling.

=========
=========
=========
=========