Europa-List: Re: Side-slipping the Europa?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Side-slipping the Europa?
From: clivesutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:02:54

Hi Bud,
As always, a full and easy-read answer, thanks and all your cautions
acknowledged.
Ivan gave me a similar steer off-BB - suggesting about 1.3 x VSo which for
me would be ~56Kt with a proven flapped stall of 43Kt.  So i will mentally note
the ideal to be ~60kt (so holding a bit of a margin for speed errors), and
not side-slip at speeds lower than that in the course of my handling practice.
I agree fully that they are a bit of a "correction maneuver" and whilst i don't
use them routinely, there are a few situations (like forced power-off landings
or where a go-around is especially tricky etc) where they could be very
helpful.
Best regards,
Clive.

Read this topic online here: