RE: Europa-List: Undercarriage & Flap Lever on the XS Mono Wheel

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Undercarriage & Flap Lever on the XS Mono Wheel
From: m.j.gregory@talk21.com
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 14:44:34
James,

Ted Gladstone and Justin Kennedy have done several mods to their
Monowheel
Z-TED, including the following reported on the Matronics list as
follows:

Date:   Sep 02, 2001

From:   Edward Gladstone <Ted_Gladstone@compuserve.com>

Subject:           tric Flaps on Monowheel

>Shaun Simpkins wrote:-

>Has anyone out there tried decoupling the flaps and gear on a
monowheel<

We are the Edinburgh group who have fitted an electric screwjack
actuator to

operate the flaps on our monowheel Europa.   Rowland is correct in that
the

actuator was originally designed to operate the elevation mechanism on a

lounge chair or bed for the elderly.  It weighs about the same as the
long

cranked linking tube and its associated couplings.  We also developed a

manual emergency method lowering the flaps, should the electric motor
fail,

but Francis Donaldson (PFA Chief Engineer) did no share our enthusiasm
for

it and we locked out this device.   Along with many other mods we have
also

changed the lever that operates the undercarriage such that it rotates
from

a horizontal position on the tunnel through 180 deg to end up again in
the

horizontal position on the tunnel.   It allows us to fill up the cavity
in

the instrument panel and it can now be operated with a single finger!

The electric flap motor also operates the outriggers in the normal
manner

(for the time being)  but we have the intention to also operate the

outriggers with small electric screw jack actuators.   When this is done

we will be able to operate the flaps to any angle but, with the existing

setup, we can go down to 30 deg and op to 23 deg without unlatching the

outriggers.   At the moment we have decided to abandon any further mods

and concentrate on getting it flying ( it's kit No 15!!!).  When its

flying we can amuse ourselves with our further mods and go faster
fairings.

Ted & Justin

G-ZTED

While this may be too radical a solution for you, the principle involved
in
making the undercarriage lever rotate through 180=B0 has clearly
resulted in a
very light operating force. I have always found Ted and Justin very
willing
to share their Europa experiences and am sure they would be happy to
discuss
ideas on the subject.

Best regards,

Mike