Europa-List: Re: Nose Wheel Shimmy

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Nose Wheel Shimmy
From: budyerly@msn.com <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 07:16:20

Replace the plastic disk if it shows signs of wear.  Inspect your fork properly.

The nose tire pressure has much to do with the shimmy.  If below 20 pounds it is
terrible.  35 pounds and it is a delight.

I set my dampener friction between 19 and 21 pounds of pull at the back of the
tire.  Use a loop of safety wire around the nut long enough to go around the
back
of the tire (wheel pant off please) and use a fish scale to do the pull test.
Typically the break out force is higher than the running or turning force
required to maintain the nose fork turn.  If it breaks initially at 21 it is
fine for asphalt surfaces and for use on grass go a bit lower.  16 pounds is a
bit too low for initial break out in my opinion.

Various sticky greases Nylogel or similar help for dynamic steering and taxi
ease
with the rudder.  I find them useful but not necessary with a nice slick plastic
disk and smooth surfaces on the metal plates.

If the metal surface is worn with groves, fix it.  If the spindle is loose, get
a new fork or find someone to fix it dead vertical.

Finally, never inject grease under pressure to lube the nose fork.  Grease blows
by the O ring and screws up the friction and makes a mess.  On my annual
condition
inspection, I simply remove my fork and tire, inspect the components, check
for tightness and lube with a finger full of thick grease (Aeroshell 22)
on the recess in the strut receptacle, and bearing area and I'm good for another
year.  It's been 14 years and still doing well enough.

Bud Yerly

Read this topic online here: