Europa-List: Ignition issue and headset crackle

Subject: Europa-List: Ignition issue and headset crackle
From: William Daniell <wdaniell.longport@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 18:21:46
Bud has provided wisdom but I wondered if anyone else has suffered the same
symptoms and might have a cure.

I have a turbo 80hp.

So it started with a crackle in the deadset that rose and fell with engine
power.  This occurred in mid flight after a normal mag check.  Prior to
this the Dynon Skyview had been without abnormal noise.

On landing I found that the switching off the left mag silenced the crackle
and switching off the right mag made the engine run rough.

The CDIs have two "in" connectors from the pick ups and two "out"
connectors to the coils.  So I swapped the "in" connectors between CDI and
the "out" connectors.  Also I tried to start the engine with only one CDI
connected to one out connector.  Both CDI work with both in-connectors but
both only work with one "out" connector to the coils.  When the CDI is
connected to the "wrong" coil the engine wont start.  This leads me to the
conclusion that I have a problem between the CDI and the plugs.  In other
words I have a problem in the coil system or in the HT/plug area.

Agreed?

If so, what is my next step?  How do I test the coils?

Will

William Daniell
LONGPORT
+1 786 878 0246