Re: Europa-List: Strobes

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Strobes
From: David stranfaer <stranfaer@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:45:41
Micro Avionics. Is the one

Sent from my iPhone

> On 23 Jan 2020, at 11:41, Mike Wylde <mike@wylde.me.uk> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB
> Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, now my first post looking for advic
e please.
> I've recently bought a nearly finished (yes, it is, really!) XS trigear wi
th a 912ULS.
> I'd like to fit strobes on top and bottom of the fus. Clearly each needs a
 hemispherical (or doughnut) light pattern, but I want streamlined teardrops
, not round beacons. I can find 3 possibles.
> Only one is LED. That's the Kuntzleman (badged Skyflash in the UK by Airwo
rld/Sandalwood). https://www.kestrobes.com/all-led-systems/ Looking at the d
istribution of LEDs in it, I suspect a lot of the flash would go vertically a
nd the important doughnut distribution would be less bright. Of course it's r
eally meant for wingtip mounting. Anyone tried it please?
> Second possibility is the Kuntzleman /Skyflash discharge tube type. I reck
on that will give a better distribution as the tube is exposed and non direc
tional. https://www.kestrobes.com/double-dual-magnum/ Anyone know how many j
oules it is per flash please? I've asked but Mr K wouldn't give me a number.

> Third possibility is the similar MicroAvionics discharge tube type (UK pro
duced). Like the Kuntzleman it gives you a double flash alternating. Each in
dividual flash is 25 joules i.e 50 joules per double flash cycle per lamp. I
t's pretty bright, I suspect the K is lower power. https://www.microavionics
.com/twin-head-high-power-strobe.html
> I would have preferred LED but I think it may be less effective.
> The K flash tube one has the slight advantage of being a LAA standard mod n
eeding no further approval.
> The MicroAvionics may be the best, I've used one, I'm impressed with its o
utput, but it means getting approval.