Europa-List: throttle pivot sifffnut won't stay in place

Subject: Europa-List: throttle pivot sifffnut won't stay in place
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 16:56:07

Some time ago Id assembled my throttle box with a temporary plain nut on the
lever
pivot to get things lined up and working. Ive now got to the stage where I
think its safe to fit the stiffnut (MS21042-4) on the pivot setscrew (EURO23).
However, having done that and tightened it up so that the throttle lever does
not slide up to full-throttle under the influence of the carb springs, as soon
as I move the lever over its travel once or twice, the stiffnut starts to turn
with the washers on that side of the lever and slackens off.

I thought perhaps the plastic washer isnt slippery enough, so plan B, I loosened
everything off enough to spread some grease on all faces of both plastic washers
and tightened it up again. No improvement, the stiffnut still slackened off
almost immediately.

Plan C was to fit a check-nut between the stiffnut and the washer and lock them
together. Alas, no matter how hard I tried to jam those 2 nuts together, they
slackened off in just the same way as before.

Now Ive pretty much run out of ideas - can anyone help or suggest the blindingly
obvious solution that Im missing?

{The engineering solution would be to have a keyway on the setscrew and tabs on
both the big metal washers to engage the keyway, this ensuring that no
rotational
movement gets transmitted to the stiffnut or the screw . . . but that calls
for special parts that might be expensive!}

in friendship

Rowland