Europa-List: Outrigger Pivot Beareing Hint

Subject: Europa-List: Outrigger Pivot Beareing Hint
From: rparigoris <rparigor@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 19:12:41

Hi Group

I just performed Europa Club Aircraft Modification Outrigger Pivot  Bearing
Modification
Mod # 10661 Version 2.

I purchased some Stainless 304 from McMaster Carr for the insert. First off the
ID was too small for a AN5-21 so I reamed it to 5/16" to .3125". Not a good fit,
the  AN5-21 8is undersized so crappy fit. I ordered from Aircraft Spruce close
tolerance bolts AN175-21 and low and behold a real nice fit.

In other words a "much more better fit"!

I had W21 plates that had bushings installed. I drilled them out. 2 of them grab
and latched onto the drill and spun out, probably making the hole a little bit
larger. Then when I went to install the Mcmaster  304 tube, it was a little
too small of an OD. Perhaps Loctite 638 would have done the trick of holding
them in place, but I threw them on the lathe and knurled them. It increased the
OD where it was a nice tight fit, so vise and 638 forced in place made a real
nice job of it. After I pushed the W21 bushings in place I needed to ream again
because the force fit reduced the ID just a tad bit. After reaming AN175-21
bolts fit great!

Anyway anyone who is looking to get a good fit on anything on their aeroplanes,
a good alternative to NAS hardware that has limited sizes is AN175 close
tolerance
bolts. Not cheap though.
Sincerely Ron P.

All is well!