Re: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider Wings?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Motorglider Wings?
From: Richard Churchill-Coleman <richard.churchillcoleman@sky.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 13:22:12
Jim and Pete

I am partway through a mono MG build with short and long wings.  I pressed E
uropa for a revised FL20 flap drive that would clear the Mod78 spars, follow
ing reports of the conflict on more advanced UK builds.  I (eventually) rece
ived that redesigned FL20 late last year but my build hasn=99t progres
sed far enough yet to actually test the clearance!

Cheers
Richard C-C

Sent from my iPad

> On 14 May 2019, at 12:57, Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>
> Jim,
>
> Here in Canada we can declare whatever gross weight we want (wisely or not
). Seeing that the added weight is itself in the wing and results in no incr
eased stresses, I figure I could simply increase the gross with long wings b
y the same 100lbs without penalty (assuming enough HP). No?

> Curious, how much floor-spar clearance is there with the glider spars vs s
hort wings? Is there a possibility that a modified/redesigned drive tube cou
ld still work for both?

> cheers,
> Pete
>
>> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 7:51 AM h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> Clive,
>>
>> Hopefully Bud Yerly will answer all your questions but here's what we kno
w.  We've have a set that we've started, but likely will not complete.

>> The glider wings are at least 100 lbs heavier.  This severely restricts t
heir usefulness for touring.

>> You are right, there are few photos of a mono with glider wings.  I've at
tached a photo of Terry Severs with one wing in place.  Dave Anderson and Ke
n Carpenter are two mono gliders but no photos (Carpenters is on Yerlys webs
ite but with short wings).

>> A problem with glider wings on a mono is that the spar mod increases the h
eight of the spar causing it to interfere with the flap actuation rod.  We h
ave successfully fitted a push pull cable to solve that problem.  Another so
lution is to go to electric flaps like a trigear.