RE: Europa-List: Re: PC680 battery

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: PC680 battery
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 18:51:40

All.....
I consider the PC680 has a particular capability of being able to give up
its power very quickly in the start process when compared with competition.
I originally had a Jabiru 3300 which needed a very high cranking capability
with the six pots coming onto the compression stroke in quick succession.
Much larger batteries proved incapable to give out the start power  quickly
enough, so I finished up with two p680 type( sometimes known as "RED TOP"
).in parallel.  When I changed engines to a 914 Rotax I kept the two
batteries employed even though I have a heavy duty rotax starter. Keeping
the two helps with redundancy issues too.
I suffered exhaustive times starting the 6 cylinder engine and tried even
heavy construction batteries with no success. All started in 1999 and I am
now on my second pair nearly twenty years later! Having used both the
originals on emergency car and lawn mower duties since recovery from the
aircraft.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG.