Re: Europa-List: Weight and balance

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Weight and balance
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 18:32:15

Bill, Very surprised to hear that. I don't think I have come across that
degree of imbalance. The idea of carrying an extra 30+ lbs around
strapped to the gear box is appalling! I would be very tempted to
re-weigh and carefully check the sums. But what engine & prop have you
and where is your battery? If the battery is in the back then shift it
on top of the footwell forward of the firewall. That will save some
weight with reduced cabling and of course move the C of G forward. Have
you got a wobbly prop? If not that adds a good amount at optimum forward
position, quite apart from seriously improving performance. Tell us more
perhaps including the weighings so we could check the C of G
calculations.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2019-03-24 11:15, Bill wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> After 20+ years I am now close to finishing my monowheel classic.
>
> Initial weight and balance shows the aircraft is tail heavy and needing 30 -
40 pounds of weight added in the engine compartment to get the CG where I want
it. The current empty weight is 801 pounds.

> I would like to ask what others have experienced, where they added weights,
> etc.
Currently I'm planning on adding weight on top of the Rotax gear box as there
are available bolt holes and room for the weight (5x5 steel bar).