Europa-List: Re: order of assembly for cooling duct, radiators and hoses

Subject: Europa-List: Re: order of assembly for cooling duct, radiators and hoses
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 05:31:39

Rowland,

We just took the engine (914) and factory cowl/duct off our XS for maintenance,
so got reacquainted with the sequence.

We mount the oil cooler in the duct first.  It is on spacers so it sits low.

Attach the duct with the bolts to the footwells, so it is located but can still
pivot on those.

Attach the oil lines to the cooler.  Access to the fittings is good.

Install the coolant radiator.  It will need washers for spacers on the sides.
We use a product called Stick It temporary adhesive (its a sticky adhesive but
heavy grease would work too) to hold the washers in place.   The radiator mounts
up high in the duct.  We added a drain fitting on the bottom port side of
the radiator.  It makes it a lot easier and less mess when subsequently removing
the radiator.

Swing the duct into place and attach the coolant hoses.  Use clamps with hex
screws
and you can reach them with a long extension.  We reach the clamps from the
port side.

Attach the side plates (CD4 & CD5) to the footwells and secure the duct with the
side bolts.  Be sure you have nutplates on the interior of the duct for these.

With the factory setup it is important that all the air entering the duct goes
through the radiators; there can be no air leaks.  We use aluminum tape, rubber
strips and weather stripping.  We even tape between the bottom of the coolant
radiator and the top of the oil cooler.

We  fit Thermo Shield on all hoses.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here: