Europa-List: LED lights intercom interference - Ferrite needed?

Subject: Europa-List: LED lights intercom interference - Ferrite needed?
From: William Bliss <william@wbliss.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 21:43:45

Hi all

I have installed bright LED's into the cowling for improved visual
conspicuity. When the engine is not running I now have audible
breakthrough white noise through the headsets in time with the Skyflash
strobe light (which is mounted on the tail). I have had no problems with
the strobe system up until now. While flying the white noise was
continuous but I was able to partially stop it by altering the intercom
squelch. I then found I had no interference on one frequency but still
had lots on another frequency. Radio communications do not seem to be
affected. The LED and Strobe circuits run off separate contact breaker
switches. Radio and Transponder are Trig which work ok up to now.

There is no high frequency noise suppresion in the LED wiring. I will
try running the power cable through a ferrite ring close to the LED
unit. Any suggestions?

William Bliss G-WUFF Mono